Monday, July 21, 2008

Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday 18
I put a call in to Alice at Dr. Bala’s, asking about the patient advocacy information at MD A that she’d mentioned, test results on the blood work, the MRI and what the markers say, etc., and leave her a voicemail. I call Mandy and ask her if she has any word back on the tests and when we can schedule them. She acts baffled and says, “Well, you have to go to your APPOINTMENT before you get any tests done. They won’t be able to do ANY testing before they see you.” It’s like we never spoke the day before. Fine. I resolve to call the patient advocate at MD A but am afraid that they might not want to take my case as a cancer patient if they think I might raise hell. What to do. I’m more concerned about what Mandy might do with future shyer patients who are not as pro-active and insistent about their care.I hear back from Alice. I have arthritis in L1 and L2, in my lower back lumbar region, pretty severe. (I’ve always had pain in my back due to pinched nerves in my neck. This news sucks. Didn’t know about arthritis at all, but I have bigger fish to fry right now.) Yep, the blood work points to carcinoid tumor alright, she gives me the advocacy information (bless her!) and tells me that someone will be calling me so that we can set up an Octreoscan for early next week. It’s a long scan, but painless. OctreoScan – More information to come. Went to lunch with new friend, Janet. Chili’s for nachos and chit-chat. I’m grateful for the distraction and happy to get to know her better. Nice lady! She tells me about the ‘energy program’ that MD Anderson has in their complex and I’m going to look into that further. I think the power of the mind can do wonders for the body. Austin Radiology calls to set up the Octreoscan right as we meet up, though. Be there on Monday morning for an injection. I will be radioactive! I then will have to take my radioactive bootie out shopping or something and then come back to Austin Radiology 4 hours later for a 30 minute long photography session. Then, the next day, I’m to come back in the morning for more scans that’ll last about 2 hours to see how my body has metabolized the injection substance. After some research I find that the injected substance seeks out tumors and the scans take pics of them, if they’re there. Pretty incredible that we have this kind of technology now. I’m there. More information?: http://www.msit.com/qap_oct.html Jeff gets first day of physical therapy and is a little grouchy and alot in pain. Long recovery for him and it’s frustrating. We go out to eat with some friends at NXNW (Pizza!) and watch Phil Wiseman play some great tunes on their back deck. Then, it’s home to rent and watch a movie. We are wild and crazy these days, Mr. Arm in a Sling and Ms. Sleep Deprived.

No comments: