Thursday, August 14, 2008

Monday, August 11

Monday, 8-11-08
Food for the first time in 10 days, small portions, still nauseating. Given anti-nausea meds, pain meds and, right before heading to the beauty shop, I’m allowed to remove the IV due to my left hand swelling painfully with no signs of good veins to put another into. Played out veins and my hand looks like a blown up latex hospital glove but I’m unplugged, finally! I go down to the hospital beauty shop via a wheelchair driven by a cheerful lady named Shirley. Amazing place! Endowments allow for patients to have their hair washed, dried and styled for free, here. I’m just going to get mine washed and braided. Endowments ALSO allow for free wigs and hair covers for those who need them. I’m so touched by all of this. If you end up at MD Anderson, be sure to ask your nurses who to talk to about how best to benefit from these generous offers. How cool, right?
I get back to the room and take a tube free shower for the first time in DAYS. What a relief to not have to bathe with one hand above, taped up in Saran Wrap so the IV port doesn’t get messed up. My digestion is still sluggish but the gas problems are lessening and gas is passing more frequently. The April Balloon is shrinking, hooray! Jeff and I thrown a mini-party every time I toot. I want ticker tape and demand a parade each time. I’m becoming very proud of my newfound ability to poot these days.
Jeff gives me a wheelchair tour of the cafeteria and Mays Building across the way, but I get tired out after about an hour and we return to the cold hospital room. I’m supposed to be released tomorrow, but I’m a little concerned about the cold sweats/chills and nausea that I’m still experiencing. Don’t want to leave only to have to return, but I tell myself that this is just part of the healing process and, knowing that I’ll be close to MD Anderson, resolve to get over my bad self and get over to Selia’s asap. I know it’ll be good for me there.
News flash: Our son, Alex, calls at 9pm with news that he is in trouble and needs to be rescued. No need for details, but my poor Jeff ends up spending the late evening and early morning hours bailing Alex out of his trouble. He gets in around 6am to grab a few zzzs before bailing ME out in the morning. Poor guy is so exhausted.

No comments: