Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday, August 18

Up and at 'em at 9am after having a weird night's sleep for both of us. Must be something in the air. My blood work at MD Anderson is set for 11:15, so we get cleaned up, have breakfast and hit the road. $10 for parking gets us into the machine that is MD A and I go in to wait for an hour for the vampires to take my blood. It's cold as the arctic in their waiting rooms almost every time, so it pays to bring a sweater. I, of course, forgot this tidbit of previous information so I hunker down to Jeff like a second skin to share his warmth. Afterward, it's off to the cafeteria to wolf down Chick-Fil-A nuggets and waffle fries. Nutrition is key when you're in the hospital, right? We head back over to G5 ward, where I was installed as a patient, so that I can fill out a "SuperStar!" form for Jeffrey, a nurse's aide who wasn't even assigned to me but stepped in when I was sick as a dog and ralphing in my room. MY Jeff would not have been able to hold me up because of his arm so it was amazing that this guy was just walking by when I got woozy and ill. He kept checking on me after that and we'd always wave in the halls as I'd go for my exercise figure eights. Great guy, and here I forgot to write him up! Jeffrey is there and so are two of the nurses who cared for me while I was in the clinker. They ooooh and ahhh over how good both Jeff and I are doing and it's like a little reunion. Very cute and so sweet that they remembered me. I was a total makeupless mess with my hair pulled back and bone white while I was under their care, so I'm surprised that they recognized me!
We check all of the book nooks on different floors for the third novel in a series that Jeff has gotten into and then it's off to see Dr. Lambert at A Elevator, Level 7, Azalea waiting room. FYI, MD Anderson has a cool book borrowing system whereby you can borrow a book on the honor system and then bring it back in. It works really well there because folks are very frequently coming back for follow-ups and chemo. Jeff and I are going to start up a mini-library in the Round Rock cancer center, if they don't have one already. It's just SUCH a great idea, I think.
On the 7th floor, Elevator A GI ward check-in area, I pay for the co-pay, get my vitals taken and then wait to be called in the azalea room. I am THRILLED 'caues I've lost 14 pounds since surgery! Oh, man, I have GOT to keep my tummy tiny so that I can go for another 20 more. We go in and who should come bobbing into the room but Dr. Mammon and his sidekick 3rd year med student, William Mitchell!! What's really weird is that I'm so happy to see them both, like they're old friends, and they're grinning from ear to ear, as well! Lol. Doc. Lambert comes in beaming and we all congratulate each other on a job well done, me and my belly. I should expect to have a bit of a rumply scar for at least a year, but that's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. Doc. L. asks what else she can do for me and I tell her that she's done enough, thank you very much. She's an amazing lady and I'm extremely fortunate and I tell her so. She ignores the praise and smilingly tells me to call her if I need anything.
Jeff and I are freed from the med center and go by Perry's Steakhouse to pick up a thank you gift certificate for my bud, Bryan, who helped me finish out the transaction on a lot that I was almost complete on. We shop a little for Selia, too, and then it's back home to catch up on blogging, walk to the park and just plain jell for awhile. Tonight, we're getting together with Selia, Kent, Chris Collins and his wifey, Leah. Maybe we can get Ken and Sue to join us, who knows? Jeff is hungry and staring at me to try to get me to check on what's for dinner instead of blogging, so I must sign off for now and will come back later.....bon appetit!~
Jeff and I end up having Chili's for dinner, after checking with Selia & Chris to see what they've got planned for dinner. Chris and Leah have eaten so Jeff and I snark on Chicken Enchilada Soup for me and ribs, salmon, veggies and taters for him. All I need is a rib or two, a small portion of the fish and a couple of veggies to fill out my tummy. Half the soup and I'm full o' vitamins in the right proportions. =) Over the cobbles and through the backyard, to Selia's house we go....
Chris and Leah show up at about 7:30 to see the guest house and then we traipse across the back yard to Selia's for some comraderie in the kitchen. Selia left a message for Saylor and Sheryl, but they're apparently busy for the evening, so it's Selia and Kent, Ken and Sue, Jeff and I and Chris and Leah sittin' round the table this time. Chris Collins is another fantastic musician who does, among his other projects, John Denver tribute concerts, etc. He is also quite the raconteur and tells some great stories, like this one, the tale of the high maintenance panhandler:
Chris was in Lake Tahoe a few days ago to do a concert and was at a Subway sandwich shop with a friend. An obviously mentally disabled man came up to Chris and asked him if Chris would buy him a sandwich. Chris is so generous and said, "Sure thing, hop in line with us." The guy waited a few minutes and then asked, "Can I have a foot long?" Chris says, "Okay." A few minutes later, "Can I have extra turkey on it?" Chris again says, "Um, sure." A few minutes later...."Can I get a large drink?" Too funny! Of course, Chris ends up buying him the large drink, chips and the foot long extra turkey sandwich. After they finish up, the fellow comes over to Chris' table and asks, "Can I have a couple of bucks?" Chris complied and went away feeling good and had a great story to tell, as well. Might be a song in it, who knows?
He says that he got his Karmic repayment on the airplane ride home. A good looking brunette had the window seat, with him in the middle seat and Chris awoke mid-flight to a pair of boobs in the face. The woman was trying not to wake him and did the crab crawl over him, only to fall onto his body face first when the plane lurched! Lol.....good gosh, what a way to wake up! Like I said, Chris is a natural storyteller and all around nice guy. Everyone Loves the man. He is also the co-founder, along with me, of HAAM, The Houston Association of Acoustic Musicians, which is how we became great buds. He's like my brother, seriously, and is one of my best friends.
Anyway, we have a great evening again with this group, talking about dog stories and early childhood/teenaged years and Selia makes strange looking, yet delicious, canapes. We head home again feeling fine about our buddies and hit the sack early. Jeff has a mission of mercy tomorrow morning and needs to catch up from our weird night's sleep last night. Sweet dreams!

No comments: