Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wednesday, August 13

Wednesday, 08-13-08
I awoke a couple of times with back/neck/belly pain and took my meds but by morning, I was able to work out the kinks and get comfortable. Jeff showers and gets ready for his fun day of doctor and dental appointments, his first starting at 11am with his orthopedic shoulder doc and the other being a teeth cleaning at 2pm. The 11am appointment wasn’t over until after 12:30, so he just stayed over on that side of town instead of wasting gas by driving back over here, so I was on my own for most of the day. I checked my email and wrote an update, but the email wouldn’t send out, so I settled in to read and watch TV for a few hours. Lazy day, but I made myself busy getting everything organized for the week in this lovely place. I’m just amazed at how quickly one can get pooped out but take breaks whenever I break out in a sweat and feel weak. I made a grocery list, started a load of laundry and waited for Jeff to get back.
When Jeff got back, we headed to Kroger to do the real shopping. Don’t do this if you’re just out of the hospital. I was so stir crazy that I went with him, though, and ended up feeling that I’d run a marathon by the time we were done. Just exhausting. We got home, put the groceries away and ate what was left over of the bean dip from CVS. Well, I did. (It wasn’t much, I swear.) We watched TV and read for a bit and then head over to Selia’s next door to order up din-din with the group.
What an awesome gathering. It was only dinner, but it felt like so much more. Even though I’ve been around these guys on many occasions, this time felt really special, for some reason. I felt a great connection with everyone there and then, the strange coincidences began. Here were the folks in attendance:
Selia Qynn (musician) and her hubby, Kent.
Ken Gaines (musician) and his wifey, Sue.
April Kelly (musician) and my hubby, Jeff.
Saylor White (musician) and his sig. other, Sheryl Hutchins.
(You MUST Google each of these musicians – They are some of the best in Houston and are remarkable peeps…Give ‘em a listen.)
Ken told a story about surprising Saylor for his birthday last week and I wondered which day, but didn’t ask just yet. When Saylor arrived, we found out, over Chinese dumplings & spring rolls, that Saylor and Jeff share the same birthday, August 6th. Both guys were blown away ‘cause neither has ever known another Leo with the same birthdate and they’ve known one another for so long without knowing about the birthday link. Then, lo and behold, we found out, over the main course, that Kent and Sheryl share the same birthdate, too, August 31st. Nuh-UH…What are the freakin’ odds, right? Sue’s birthday is the same as my little sister’s. I now know everyone’s birthdays and won’t be forgetting that anytime soon!
After some great conversation, we had the fruit torte that Selia had left for Jeff for dessert and everyone sang “Happy Birthday” to him, finally! A great night, but I got pooped early and so began the sweats and chills….time to go. It’s just as well ‘cause Selia has a mission of mercy in the morning and needs her sleep. We bid them adieu and go back next door, feeling fine about our remarkable friends. A little TV, a little reading, a little pain medication, bedtime it is. G’night.

No comments: